Compiled By Business Unusual
There is no better way to relax after a safari than to take a calming beach break. Africa is home to some of the most stunning beach resorts in the world. Think crystal blue water and soft sand between your toes – pure Zen!
1. Mnemba Island Lodge, Tanzania Regarded as one of the finest beach lodges in the world, Mnemba Island Lodge is at the top of our list! Located just off Zanzibar, Mnemba is a beautiful private island. Run by the luxury travel company &Beyond, and with room for only 20 guests, this lodge is a fantastic option for those wishing for privacy and exclusivity.
2. Ellerman House, South Africa While Cape Town may spring to mind as a fabulous location for a city break, it is home to some superb beaches – and there is no better place to stay than Ellerman House, an award-winning boutique hotel. With just 11 luxurious rooms, and boasting beautiful ocean views, this gorgeous property is the perfect option for those wanting both a beach and city element to their trip!
3. Azura Quilalea, Mozambique One of our favourite beach resorts in this gorgeous country is Azura Quilalea in the Quirimbas Archipelago. Not only does this lodge boast a lovely location on a beautiful private island with stunning scenery and an abundance of activities, it is also one of the most eco-friendly luxurious beach lodges in Africa!
4. Kilindi Zanzibar, Tanzania Kilindi Zanzibar is an all-time YZ fave, an exceptional hotel that offers plenty of privacy as well as a sumptuous sort of stay. While Zanzibar is home to a lot of larger resorts, Kilindi has just 15 rooms – exclusivity is guaranteed. A serious contender for the island’s finest property!
5. Ras Kutani, Tanzania Zanzibar may offer some brilliant beach properties, but Tanzania’s coast also has some beach lodges that are well worth visiting – one of these is the fabulous Ras Kutani. Situated just 40 kilometres from Dar es Salaam, it feels like a world away from the city. Not only do we love this lodge for its charming chalets and gorgeous beach, but we also appreciate the value for money it offers, due to its position on the mainland, compared with other Zanzibar resorts!
6. Azura Benguerra, Mozambique This beach lodge, situated on Benguerra Island in Mozambique’s Bazaruto Archipelago, is one of the finest of its kind in the country! To access the property, travellers take a helicopter flight, complete with amazing views. The property is home to just 14 rooms, with suites and villas having their own private access to the beauteous beach here.
7. Baraza Resort and Spa, Tanzania Another great Zanzibar property is the Baraza Resort and Spa. Located on Zanzibar’s East Coast, Baraza is a fairly large resort yet it manages to retain the charm of a smaller hotel. The interior of the hotel is absolutely awesome, with its strong Arabic influence. We love Baraza and think it is a truly top-notch beach resort!
8. North Island, Seychelles All the Seychelles islands are sensationally good, but this lodge defines luxury! The communal building and guest accommodation occupy the eastern side of the island, while other areas such as Honeymoon Beach and West Beach Bar are deftly dotted around. North Island is somewhere that everyone in the YZ office wants to visit – it is a truly spectacular place!
9. Benguerra Island, Mozambique At penultimate position, we have another brilliant &Beyond property – Benguerra Island in Mozambique. If you like scuba diving, this is the place for you – Benguerra is famous for its incredible diving and snorkelling. It is also renowned for its deep sea fly fishing! This lodge is full of character and is one of our favourite places to stay!
10. Desroches Island, Seychelles Finally, we have to include Desroches Island in the Seychelles. Another private island, Desroches is super-luxurious, offering guests gorgeous suites and villas. All rooms have indoor and outdoor showers, private decking, and a private garden. A stay here is truly exclusive
Sources: https://yellowzebrasafaris.com/inspiration/ top-10s/beach-retreats/
ADVISORY: Please check if any of the islands are safe to travel to with local tourism offices.